Sunday, April 6, 2008

Juxtapositions: business-like representations of gangsta rap

For those of you who went through high-school like I did; bumping the base and pimpin' your ride (which happened to be a 1984 2-wheel drive Toyota pick-up truck that I hit a tree with dead on and my dad taught me a lesson by making me drive that thing even if I had to keep my foot on the gas ALL THE TIME. Yep, foot on the gas ALL THE TIME to keep it running. Even while slowing for a stop sign. I had to riverdance back and forth from the brake to the gas, brake to the gas and keep the carborator wide open as I prayed the engine wouldn't just stop or explode. Of course, even if it did stop I could just throw it in gear as I silently rolled down the highway and pop the clutch to start it back up again with a firey pop. And lest I forget the radio-antenna; fashioned from a wire coat-hanger... or the wheel that rubbed up something aweful against the bumper every time I turned left... squealing and squeeking as I pimped along... those were the days. Bumping the base and pimping my ride).
.
Without "capital s-n-double-o-p d-o-double-g-y d-o-g ya see" and my main man Doctor D are E, bumping and pimpin' wouldn't have been anything more than hoping that truck would get me home from school every day. So here's to my boys and the raps they rapped. They made me feel like a gangsta, yo!













5 comments:

Ashlee said...

Dave your so funny... or should I say Nerdy?! HA! How much time did you spend making all these nifty lil graphs? I miss ya! You make me smile! Love ya tons.

Love, Deborah said...

Hi Dave! I just wanted to let you know that I am so glad you have the time to make such fantastic charts! The "things you can touch" is my total favorite!

Mark and Kandice said...

That is pretty impressive Dave. Have you thought about making up raps as a side job? I love the green Why I'm Hot and Why you Ain't hot. It kind of makes me want to create one.

camihubrich said...

I am laughing out loud. Out loud Dave. Funny, funny, funny.

XO said...

Rapper graphs and pie-charts? Brilliant.